A preview of the Rebel Fitness Guide: -First 8 Pages of the Rebel Fitness Guide -First 7 Pages of the Rebel Diet Guide -First 8 Pages of the Rebel Food Fighter -Part of a Level 3 WorkoutRead More
“No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.” ~Bill Phillips
In continuation of the benefits to exercise series, this week we’re talking about exercise as part of effectively losing weight. I’m not here to advocate that exercise alone should make up your weight loss program. Since your weight is determined by the number of calories you eat each day minus what your body uses, your diet and nutrition must work in conjunction with your exercise program in order to maintain a healthy weight or lose unwanted weight.
Everything you eat contains calories and everything you do burns up those calories – even sleeping, eating and digesting food. Outside of those normal body functions, any physical activity added to the mix burns extra calories. The key being to balance the number of calories expended through exercise and physical activity with the calories you put in your body. Sounds like simple math to create the best way to lose weight, right?
However, we live in a “want it now” society, so many people want a desired outcome, but heaven forbid they have to exert any effort in order to obtain it! There is no magic quick weight loss pill – no matter what those late night infomercials tell you. I’ve said it before – you need to MOVE and get off of your bootie on a consistent basis, combined with healthy eating in order to achieve the most efficient and healthy weight. When you’re active, your body uses energy (calories) to work, helping to burn the calories you take in with everything that goes in your mouth.
Last week we talked about the importance of aerobic exercise in order to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. The chart below from Mayo Clinic shows the estimated number of calories burned while performing a variety of exercises for one hour. Obviously this may vary depending on the exercise, intensity and the individual’s fitness level, but it’s a good source for deciding which combination of exercises or activities may create the best weight loss program for you.
|Activity (one-hour duration)||Weight of person and calories burned|
|160 pounds (73 kilograms)||200 pounds (91 kilograms)||240 pounds (109 kilograms)|
|Aerobics, high impact||511||637||763|
|Aerobics, low impact||365||455||545|
|Bicycling, < 10 mph, leisure||292||364||436|
|Football, touch, flag, general||584||728||872|
|Golfing, carrying clubs||329||410||491|
|Jogging, 5 mph||584||728||872|
|Racquetball, casual, general||511||637||763|
|Running, 8 mph||986||1,229||1,472|
|Softball or baseball||365||455||545|
|Tae kwon do||730||910||1,090|
|Walking, 2 mph||183||228||273|
|Walking, 3.5 mph||277||346||414|
|Weightlifting, free weight, Nautilus or universal type||219||273||327|
Try to keep in mind this week while you’re surrounding yourself with huge spreads of food that in order to burn those unnecessary calories you may be indulging in, you’ll have to MOVE in order to keep the weight loss equation in check.
I would also like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and extend my gratitude to my family and friends, staff members and those who work out at any of my clubs. This may have been a tougher year than most for many; however, there is still so much to be thankful for. Thank you all for being a part of my social media family as we offer support and encouragement to each other while on this continual journey called “wellness.”
- Full Body Blast In today’s full body blast, after only 20 minutes you will work all your major muscles groups: Warm up: 400 hundred meter run Workout: -…
- Benefits to Exercise: The Mood-Boosting Gift This week I’m beginning a five-part series on the benefits to exercise, starting with how it affects the brain by boosting your mood. “It is…
- Advanced Body Weight Circuit This weekend, we are featuring an Advanced Body Weight Circuit Workout by Arizona’s Top Fat Loss Trainer, Dr. Brad Campbell from ‘Health Is Wealth Personal…
- Beaver Mountain, Logan, UT Beaver Mountain is located in: Logan, UT Phone: (435) 753-0921 Website: http://www.skithebeav.com/main.htm About the Resort: This is a resort that should be insanely popular, due to the prime facilities, helpful staff and terrific location, and even though they do get quite a lot of visitors, this is still considered to……
- How much is solar panel power going for these days? A friend at work mentioned a few days ago that he was interested in getting some solar panels.Â He’s already taken a few steps to make his family more self-sufficient and less reliant on public utilities, and this is the next step. I began to wonder what kind of money……
- CYCLOCROSS BICYCLE-SURLY CROSSCHECK BIKE Cyclocross Bicycle-Surly Crosscheck Bike [/caption] The Surly Cross-Check is a strong cyclocross bike that is quick, agile and fun to ride no matter where you ride it. Fork: Surly Cross-Check Headset: Ritchey Logic Comp Stem: Tohoma, Forged Handlebar: Salsa MotoAce Bell Lap Brakes: Tektro Cantilever Brake Lever: Shimano BL-400 Front……
- Benefits to Exercise: Healthy Immune System
- Benefits to Exercise: Cardiovascular Fitness
- Benefits to Exercise: The Mood-Boosting Gift
Get in Shape for the holidays with our Fusion Kick Fit Program!
Spend seven weeks in our fitness program getting to a stronger, healthier, sexier NEW YOU.
Get stronger than you’ve ever been before. Achieve your dream dress or pant size while gaining strength, flexibility, endurance and energy. This is a life-changing experience!
Announcing a brand new time: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm Monday & Wednesday
Get things going with an exciting and energizing workout! At Fusion Kick Fit, we know how important it is to stay motivated to workout. Our program is Safe, Effective, and most of all, Fun. We incorporate so many different types of exercises in our proven system, that it’s almost impossible to get bored! Most of all, anyone can do it, any level of fitness, any age.
Unlike treadmills and bicycles our classes will keep you interested and engaged without having to learn complicated dance moves or confusing step aerobic routines! But it doesn’t stop there. We rely on our “ABC’s” of fitness, Aerobic Conditioning, Balanced Nutrition and Core Strength Training, as our guide for success. Regular attendance and total commitment to the nutrition guidelines required for best results.
Fusion Kick Fit is starting our Fall Exercise class on Monday Nov 2, 2009 @ 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Here are the dates:
- November 2, 2009
- November 4, 2009
- November 9, 2009
- November 11, 2009
- November 16, 2009
- November 18, 2009
- November 23, 2009
- November 30, 2009
- December 2, 2009
- December 7, 2009
- December 9, 2009
- December 14, 2009
- December 16, 2009
- December 21, 2009
The total cost for our engaging, high burning calories workout classes is only $84 for our Autumn session. If you can only participate 1 day a week, no problem – the fee will be only $55
We look forward to seeing you in next amazing workout session.
- Celebrate Daylight Saving Time With a Morning Workout (fitsugar.com)
- Exercise keeps dangerous visceral fat away a year after weight loss, finds UAB study (scienceblog.com)
- Pros and Cons of the Stationary Bike (fitsugar.com)
This weekend focus on core strength in every contraction… don’t be fooled, this is disguised as a core workout!
Warm up: 15 minutes on elliptical machine or stair master, 2 sets of 25 push ups
- 40 walking lunges
- 20 superman back extensions
- 20 mountain climbers
- side planks; 30 seconds on each side
- complete 4 rounds for time, post your time!
“Clark Kent is who I am, Superman is what I can do” - Superman (the movie) quote
Related PostsRead More
Be a ‘Band-It‘ with these resistance band exercises focusing on legs, shoulders, back and chest…
Warm up: run 400 meters (or 1 lap around track), 25 push ups
Workout: (videos below)
- 20 reps chest press
- 20 squat jumps with lower back pull (back pull not shown)
- 20 lat pull downs
- 20 lunges with shoulder press (shoulder press not shown)
- 20 side steps (20 on each side)
- core; 2 minute planks (beginners 1 min)
- repeat 3 times; Make sure to select the proper band width: adv use a thicker tube, beginners use smaller width
Have fun today and Band-It!
- Rock the Band 8/27/09
- Super Set: Chest & Back
- ‘Escape to Witch Mountain’!
Warm up: 100 yard sprints, repeat 5 times
Exercise 1 - 30 Jumping Squats, take 30 seconds rest and repeat 5 times.
Exercise 2 - Planks; front 30 seconds each, Left Side for 30 seconds, Right Side 30 seconds; repeat entire set of planks 5 times
Each day is a new day and a chance to face your challenges. What would you do if you knew you would not fail?
This intense leg workout will challenge your strength and endurance… work those legs and don’t give up!
Warm up: 400 meter run, 2 sets of 25 crunches
- 50 air squats
- 50 box jumps; Adv 24 inches, Beg 6-12 inches
- 50 back squats; Men 95 lbs, Women 45 lbs
- 50 front squats; Men 95 lbs, Women 45 lbs
- 50 walking lunges (25 on each leg with dumbbells) ; Men 60 lbs, Women 20 lbs
- Do each exercise for time. Take a 2 minute break in between and post time for each station.
“I’m a track star running thru life, chasing my dream.” — 50 Cent quote
Related PostsRead More
Warm up: 10 minutes on elliptical machine, 2 minute planks, 10 lunges on each side
- 10 hang power cleans (Men 95 lbs, Women 45 lb bar)
- 20 push ups
- 20 air squats
- 20 crunches
- 5 rounds for time
“Only the strong survive”
Related PostsRead More
This DVD contains 3 twenty minute workouts that focus on upper body, lower body, and the core which you can do together or separately. Each workout is comprised of intervals of both strength and cardio moves that are done for a minute each. Generally, for every four strength exercises, there is one cardio move that follows. Each are fairly tough going but very effective. All you need for this workout is a pair of light hand weights and you are good to go. This workout is intense!! Jackie’s motto is “you can do anything for a minute!”. The only thing is that you do one exercise for one minutes and IMMEDIATLEY go onto the next one which is HARD but thats why its so intense. All the exercises can be made more simple (for beginners) or stepped up a notch (for the over-achievers).
Upper Body Workout
You start out with a short warm-up with arm circles and boxer twist, then you get into the workout.
- Bent Over Rows (back)
- Rear Delt Fly (delts)
- Cardio (30 sec each): Jumping Jacks & Ski Bunny
- Modified PushUp (Chest)
- Kneeling Kickback (Triceps)
- Lateral Raise & Front Raise (shoulders) – you alternate between one one arm doing the lateral raise and the other lifting to the front.
- Cardio: Boxer Twist
- Alternating One Arm Row (back)
- Hammer Curl (biceps)
- WV(basically a shoulder raise in a different position)
- Transverse Fly (shoulders)
- Cardio (Knee-to-Elbow)
- Fly & Press (chest)
- Skull Crusher (triceps)
- Lateral Raise (shoulders)
- Military Press (shoulders)
- Cardio (Speed Bag)
- Finally a much deserved cool down.
You start out with a brief workout including core rotations, squat with wood chop, overhead squat. In this workout they all workout together and Jackie mostly goes around and gives excellent form pointers but she does the moves sometimes, too. Renessa shows a modified beginner version of the move and Jesse sometimes shows an advanced version. You do each move for one minute. There are a few stretches interspersed throughout, because your abdominals will be sore.
- Clam (The soles of the feet are together with knees out, as you crunch)
- Plank (you hold it for one minute)
- Cardio: Mountain Climber & Plank Twist (30 sec of each)
- Figure Eight (while sitting on the floor you lean back slightly and alternately clap your hands under each leg)
- Side Plank Rotation (30 seconds on each side)
- Cardio: Torso Twist
- Straight Leg Tap
- Penguin Heel Tap (really targets the obliques)
- Cardio: Half Burpees
- V-sit Extend & Flex
- Side Roll
- Plank Variation
- Cardio: Fast Bicycles
- Finally, a much deserved stretch
Lower Body Workout
You start out with a warmup mainly using a half range of motion: little pulse squats, side lunge, front lunge, backward lunge. Again, you do each of the moves for 60 seconds, and hand weights can be used on most of the exercises.
- Front Lunge
- Box Squat
- Cardio: Frog Hop & Shuffle (30 seconds each)
- Plie Squat
- Backward Lunge
- Drop Step
- Cardio: Jump Lunge Shuffle & Military KneeUp (30 seconds each)
- Sumo Squat
- Front Diagonal Lunges
- Sumo Squat with Drop Step (the drop step is basically a curtsy squat)
- Cardio: Knee Up Jog & Squat with Side Kick (30 seconds each)
- Reverse Scissor(lay on your stomach and kick your legs over each other)
- Three Quarter Kick (similar to a Donkey Kick)- 60 seconds on each side
- You finish off with a nice lower body and back stretch.
I would recommend this product to anyone. There are modifications for the more difficult/challenging exercises if you are not in shape. And modifications to make the exercises more challenging if you are in shape. The three circuits offer a complete body workout. The DVD has a great pace with great tips to ensure you are doing the exercises correctly.
Each new day is a new challenge. The challenges from yesterday are complete… The only easy day way yesterday. Face today’s challenges and conquer them! Super set me! Let’s super set with chest and back in this workout:
Warm up: 10-15 minutes of elliptical machine
- 12 to 15 reps Bench Press, or seated press (Men & W use body weight, beginners half of body weight)
- 25 push ups
- 30 second rest
- 12 to 15 Lat pull downs (in front to chest)
- 12 to 15 seated row (keep abs tight and back straight)
- 30 second rest
- repeat circuit 4 times
- Chest & Back 8/17/09
- Workout for Wednesday
- XXTreme Workout