Get 12 months subscription Of Shape Magazine for only $2.50 a year with this coupon code – SHAPE. Get this before it expire.
Shape Magazine is edited to deliver useful techniques and an understanding of fitness. Top experts from diverse fields of exercise, nutrition, psychology and beauty join forces with nationally known journalists to make each issue a how-to manual for a healthful lifestyle.
This magazine has 12 issues per subscription and you can buy 3 years.Read More
A preview of the Rebel Fitness Guide: -First 8 Pages of the Rebel Fitness Guide -First 7 Pages of the Rebel Diet Guide -First 8 Pages of the Rebel Food Fighter -Part of a Level 3 WorkoutRead More
Are we what we eat?
To a degree both engrossing and alarming, the story of fast food is the story of postwar Amerca. Though created by a handful of mavericks, the fast food industry has triggered the homogenization of our society. Fast food has hastened the malling of our landscape, widened the chasm between rich and poor, fueled an epidemic of obesity, and propelled the juggernaut of American cultural imperialism abroad. That’s a lengthy list of charges, but Eric Schlosser makes them stick with an artful mix of first-rate reportage, wry wit, and careful reasoning.
Schlosser’s myth-shattering survey stretches from the California subdivisions where the business was born to the industrial corridor along the New Jersey Turnpike where many of fast food’s flavors are concocted. He hangs out with the teenagers who make the restaurants run and communes with those unlucky enough to hold America’s most dangerous job — meatpacker. He travels to Las Vegas for a giddily surreal franchisers’ convention where Mikhail Gorbachev delivers the keynote address. He even ventures to England and Germany to clock the rate at which those countries are becoming fast food nations.
Along the way, Schlosser unearths a trove of fascinating, unsettling truths — from the unholy alliance between fast food and Hollywood to the seismic changes the industry has wrought in food production, popular culture, and even real estate. He also uncovers the fast food chains’ efforts to reel in the youngest, most susceptible consumers even while they hone their institutionalized exploitation of teenagers and minorities. Schlosser then turns a critical eye toward the hot topic of globalization — a phenomenon launched by fast food.
FAST FOOD NATION is a groundbreaking work of investigation and cultural history that may change the way America thinks about the way it eats.
- Sunday Q&A: Author still a crusader for healthier food (chron.com)
- Oscar Week: Food Inc. Director Robert Kenner (time.com)
- Fast Food de-Light: Top Low Calorie Picks (fyiliving.com)
- Contest Results: Foraging in a Fast Food Nation (marksdailyapple.com)
- Chocolate Pudding: the inside story (cbc.ca)
- Fast Food Nation: This Week in Consumer Web (socialtimes.com)
- Fast Food Nation – Linart (itunes.apple.com)
- Ask Pam: Is Fast Food Off-Limits? (healthnews.ediets.com)
- Fast Food Effects on Diabetes (brighthub.com)
- Ellen Kanner: Meatless Monday: Life in the Fast Lane (huffingtonpost.com)
Fusion Kick Fit will be teaching a class at the Finger Lakes Yoga Festival from 2 to 3 pm on Friday, August 2010 held at Greek Peak Mountain Resort, Cortland, NY. Fusion Kick Fit will be introducing our unique blend of cardio kick boxing routine, functional sports movement and Yoga/Tai Chi inspire cool down to the 1st annual yoga lover and fitness enthusiast attendees.
Please wear comfortable workout clothing and bring a water bottle, stability/resistant band (if you don’t have one, no problem I have extras) and yoga mats/towel for core workout.
Check out this great article by Self Magazine on danger of dating strangers while on vacation
At one point, as a single woman, you likely met a handsome, charming guy on summer vacation. Then, when he asked you out, you had this debate in your head: He’s cute. But I know zip about him. And that Natalee Holloway case really freaks me out. He’s just so charming. And kinda looks like Brad Pitt. But, really, he could be a total creep. Decisions… decisions…
To make sure we all play it safe this summer, we’re going to follow these rules from Tina B. Tessina, Ph.D. (a.k.a. Dr. Romance), psychotherapist and author of The Unofficial Guide to Dating Again. You should too.
- Don’t get hammered.
- Bring a friend along.
- Go someplace safe.
- Know your emotional limits.
- Don’t look at yourself through your date’s eyes.
- Look for integrity.
- Be very consistent and careful about your sexual safety.
- Know the signs of emotional blackmail.
Resistance bands are an inexpensive and highly effective way to add another dimension to your core training and strength workouts….
Resistance Band Tips:
- Posture: Resistance-band exercises will have you focusing on a certain muscle group, but don’t forget about the rest of your body…
- Movement: Each movement with the resistance bands should be slow, gentle and controlled. Never let the bands snap back into place, but rather, softly guide them…
- Maintenance: Keeping your resistance bands in optimum shape will help you get the optimum workout. They should be stored loosely so they keep their shape in an area out of direct sunlight….
VISTA Magazine is a bimonthly publication dedicated to nutrition, natural living, health and wellness.
The magazine is distributed FREE of charge through fine health food retailers across Canada. Retailers interested in distributing VISTA can sign up here.
More info: http://www.vistamagonline.com/
Finger Lakes Community College will be hosting a Health and Fitness Day, an excellent program the College’s chapter of Phi Theta Kappa has put together for Saturday, March 27, from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. in the gym.
One of the highlights will be an opening presentation by Kristen Thorsness, an Ontario County attorney who earned gold in rowing at the 1984 Olympics in Los Angeles.
The schedule is as follows.
- 10:15 a.m.: Keynote by gold medalist Kristen Thorsness.
- 10:55-11:40 a.m.: 15-minute workout and stretching regimen (wear comfortable clothes to participate).
- 11:50 a.m.-12:35 p.m.: Fitness Center 101: Learn How to Use Exercise Equipment, (Fitness center is adjacent to the gym).
- 12:30 to 1:15 p.m.: Lunch presentation by Dr. Lisa Harris, Nutrition Facts and Science: Squashing the Myths; also question-and-answer session with Dr. Harris on health topics, including heart conditions, irritable bowel syndrome and diabetes.
- 1:15 to 2:05 p.m.: Food Labels and the Science of Nutrition .
- 2:15-3 p.m.: The Wellness of Massage Therapy .
Free healthy food will be served and FLCC students will offer childcare in Stage 13 on the second floor. Children will be able to take part in the Wii Fit program, the Dance Dance Revolution game and more.
Take advantage of the educational opportunities the Phi Theta Kappa members have organized.
For more info contact:
Thomas E. Topping, Ed.D.
Vice President of Academic and Student Affairs
Finger Lakes Community College
3325 Marvin Sands Drive
Canandaigua, NY 14424-8395
(585) 394-3500, ext. 7209
Fusion Kick Fit will be starting another training session starting March 15, 2010. This is your chance to train in one of the most innovative exercise program that combines fitness kick boxing, stability band/resistant training, functional sports movement, sports yoga and moving mediation, all in one class.
If this sounds intimidating, don’t worry, our instructor has over 16 years of exercise and martial arts experience to help you achieve your fitness goal and help you reduce stress.
How does exercise reduce stress?
- Exercise increases your overall health and your sense of well-being, which puts more pep in your steps every day. But exercise also has some direct stress-busting benefits.
- It pumps up your endorphins. Physical activity helps to bump up the production of your brain’s feel-good neurotransmitters, called endorphins.
- It’s meditation in movement…. As you begin to regularly shed your daily tensions through movement and physical activity, you may find that this focus on a single task, and the resulting energy and optimism, can help you remain calm and clear in everything that you do.
- It improves your mood. Regular exercise can increase self-confidence and lower the symptoms associated with mild depression and anxiety. This can ease your stress levels and give you a sense of command over your body and your life.
[table id=2 /]Read More
Wayne County Department of Aging & Youth is offering an Insurance Counselling (Educational) Workshops
If you question about how to finance your long-term care, long term care insurance and how it can help? Then join Wayne County Department of Aging & Youth for their next workshop.
The next sessions is:
- April 15, 2010 @ 2:00 pm
Seating is limited. Please call to reserve
1519 Nye Rd., Suite 300
Lyons, NY 14489
View Larger Map