“No matter who you are, no matter what you do, you absolutely, positively do have the power to change.” ~Bill Phillips
In continuation of the benefits to exercise series, this week we’re talking about exercise as part of effectively losing weight. I’m not here to advocate that exercise alone should make up your weight loss program. Since your weight is determined by the number of calories you eat each day minus what your body uses, your diet and nutrition must work in conjunction with your exercise program in order to maintain a healthy weight or lose unwanted weight.
Everything you eat contains calories and everything you do burns up those calories – even sleeping, eating and digesting food. Outside of those normal body functions, any physical activity added to the mix burns extra calories. The key being to balance the number of calories expended through exercise and physical activity with the calories you put in your body. Sounds like simple math to create the best way to lose weight, right?
However, we live in a “want it now” society, so many people want a desired outcome, but heaven forbid they have to exert any effort in order to obtain it! There is no magic quick weight loss pill – no matter what those late night infomercials tell you. I’ve said it before – you need to MOVE and get off of your bootie on a consistent basis, combined with healthy eating in order to achieve the most efficient and healthy weight. When you’re active, your body uses energy (calories) to work, helping to burn the calories you take in with everything that goes in your mouth.
Last week we talked about the importance of aerobic exercise in order to maintain a healthy cardiovascular system. The chart below from Mayo Clinic shows the estimated number of calories burned while performing a variety of exercises for one hour. Obviously this may vary depending on the exercise, intensity and the individual’s fitness level, but it’s a good source for deciding which combination of exercises or activities may create the best weight loss program for you.
|Activity (one-hour duration)||Weight of person and calories burned|
|160 pounds (73 kilograms)||200 pounds (91 kilograms)||240 pounds (109 kilograms)|
|Aerobics, high impact||511||637||763|
|Aerobics, low impact||365||455||545|
|Bicycling, < 10 mph, leisure||292||364||436|
|Football, touch, flag, general||584||728||872|
|Golfing, carrying clubs||329||410||491|
|Jogging, 5 mph||584||728||872|
|Racquetball, casual, general||511||637||763|
|Running, 8 mph||986||1,229||1,472|
|Softball or baseball||365||455||545|
|Tae kwon do||730||910||1,090|
|Walking, 2 mph||183||228||273|
|Walking, 3.5 mph||277||346||414|
|Weightlifting, free weight, Nautilus or universal type||219||273||327|
Try to keep in mind this week while you’re surrounding yourself with huge spreads of food that in order to burn those unnecessary calories you may be indulging in, you’ll have to MOVE in order to keep the weight loss equation in check.
I would also like to wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and extend my gratitude to my family and friends, staff members and those who work out at any of my clubs. This may have been a tougher year than most for many; however, there is still so much to be thankful for. Thank you all for being a part of my social media family as we offer support and encouragement to each other while on this continual journey called “wellness.”
- Full Body Blast In today’s full body blast, after only 20 minutes you will work all your major muscles groups: Warm up: 400 hundred meter run Workout: -…
- Benefits to Exercise: The Mood-Boosting Gift This week I’m beginning a five-part series on the benefits to exercise, starting with how it affects the brain by boosting your mood. “It is…
- Advanced Body Weight Circuit This weekend, we are featuring an Advanced Body Weight Circuit Workout by Arizona’s Top Fat Loss Trainer, Dr. Brad Campbell from ‘Health Is Wealth Personal…
- Beaver Mountain, Logan, UT Beaver Mountain is located in: Logan, UT Phone: (435) 753-0921 Website: http://www.skithebeav.com/main.htm About the Resort: This is a resort that should be insanely popular, due to the prime facilities, helpful staff and terrific location, and even though they do get quite a lot of visitors, this is still considered to……
- How much is solar panel power going for these days? A friend at work mentioned a few days ago that he was interested in getting some solar panels.Â He’s already taken a few steps to make his family more self-sufficient and less reliant on public utilities, and this is the next step. I began to wonder what kind of money……
- CYCLOCROSS BICYCLE-SURLY CROSSCHECK BIKE Cyclocross Bicycle-Surly Crosscheck Bike [/caption] The Surly Cross-Check is a strong cyclocross bike that is quick, agile and fun to ride no matter where you ride it. Fork: Surly Cross-Check Headset: Ritchey Logic Comp Stem: Tohoma, Forged Handlebar: Salsa MotoAce Bell Lap Brakes: Tektro Cantilever Brake Lever: Shimano BL-400 Front……
- Benefits to Exercise: Healthy Immune System
- Benefits to Exercise: Cardiovascular Fitness
- Benefits to Exercise: The Mood-Boosting Gift
Nature’s way of steering us toward nutritious eating is all about color. Follow her palette and you will lose weight for life. Becoming healthy isn’t about complicated diets…just listen to your instincts and eat as many colors as you can every day.
Here are some examples of healthy diet foods and the colors to guide you:
Delicious red tomatoes, flavorful beets, sweet rasberries, and crunchy apples are just a few examples of vibrant red foods.
Probably the easiest example is green. Some of the most nutritious vegetables are green: broccoli, romaine lettuce, chard, spinach, avocados, and brussel sprouts.
Starting your day with half of a pink grapefruit is a proven lose weight strategy. The vitamin C and antioxidants help prevent cancer too.
“Red” cabbage is really a deep purple vegetable packed with flavanoids and other anti-cancer properties. And we’ve heard a lot about the health benefits of blueberries and purple grapes – perfect low calorie vegan snacks.
Favorite healthy orange foods include carrots, sweet potatoes, yams, and of course oranges. Eat at least one of those every day and you’ll be reaping the benefits of nutritious eating.
The most nutritious yellow foods include bananas, squash, yellow peppers, and pineapple. Looking for a healthy drink? Make your own lemonade sweetened with Stevia.
Yup even white nutritious foods exist. How about cauliflower, jicama, white mushrooms, and onions.
You get the idea. Eat a variety of colorful fruits and vegetables every day and you’ll be well on your way to becoming healthy and slim.
Want to learn more about how a plant based diet means permanent weight loss? Visit www.lose-weight-for-life.com/diet-to-lose-weight.html.Read More
Get in Shape for the holidays with our Fusion Kick Fit Program!
Spend seven weeks in our fitness program getting to a stronger, healthier, sexier NEW YOU.
Get stronger than you’ve ever been before. Achieve your dream dress or pant size while gaining strength, flexibility, endurance and energy. This is a life-changing experience!
Announcing a brand new time: 5:30 pm – 6:30 pm Monday & Wednesday
Get things going with an exciting and energizing workout! At Fusion Kick Fit, we know how important it is to stay motivated to workout. Our program is Safe, Effective, and most of all, Fun. We incorporate so many different types of exercises in our proven system, that it’s almost impossible to get bored! Most of all, anyone can do it, any level of fitness, any age.
Unlike treadmills and bicycles our classes will keep you interested and engaged without having to learn complicated dance moves or confusing step aerobic routines! But it doesn’t stop there. We rely on our “ABC’s” of fitness, Aerobic Conditioning, Balanced Nutrition and Core Strength Training, as our guide for success. Regular attendance and total commitment to the nutrition guidelines required for best results.
Fusion Kick Fit is starting our Fall Exercise class on Monday Nov 2, 2009 @ 5:30 pm to 6:30 pm
Here are the dates:
- November 2, 2009
- November 4, 2009
- November 9, 2009
- November 11, 2009
- November 16, 2009
- November 18, 2009
- November 23, 2009
- November 30, 2009
- December 2, 2009
- December 7, 2009
- December 9, 2009
- December 14, 2009
- December 16, 2009
- December 21, 2009
The total cost for our engaging, high burning calories workout classes is only $84 for our Autumn session. If you can only participate 1 day a week, no problem – the fee will be only $55
We look forward to seeing you in next amazing workout session.
- Celebrate Daylight Saving Time With a Morning Workout (fitsugar.com)
- Exercise keeps dangerous visceral fat away a year after weight loss, finds UAB study (scienceblog.com)
- Pros and Cons of the Stationary Bike (fitsugar.com)